Sunday, July 25, 2010

THING #15

I was hesitant to want to buy into the idea of the new role of libraries that the writers were describing. I was worried that the interpersonal relationship between librarian and patron might be at risk. However, I now realize that this new technology may even bring in more patrons who may not have access to some of the resources that the libraries may have at any given time. That is assuming that libraries get the funding. While some technology gets cheaper over the years, libraries tend to be one of the first institutions to suffer cutbacks.
I like the idea that the exchange of services and resources as well as outreach will improve. Information will be up-to-date. Rather, more up-to-date than encyclopedias were because information can be changed more easily and faster.

Finally, as long as there is no, as one writer puts it "technoworship," and I can still hold books in my hands to read, I'm okay with the new technology. It may take me awhile, but I'll get there just as I am doing now with this Library 2play.

No comments:

Post a Comment